Thursday, May 6, 2010

Battles of the Bands...

I think that is the correct pluralization of that word. also, I'm not sure pluralization is actually a word, but I'm using it. deal with it. =]

anyway, I've been thinking about this sort of competition recently... I'm thinking that, while it's a cool opportunity for kids who can't play worth crap to look like fools on stage while "living the dream" of being a "rockstar" for three minutes (ohdeargodnotlongerthanthreeminutes, it's also just a way for kids who can play to show off their skillz. yes, their skillZ.

especially at Roncalli, the Battle of the Bands is largely based on popularity. Not that I had a problem with Jimmy Breeze and the Elevensies' rendition of Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" (actually, I liked it immensely), but if another band with kids who were just as talented did the same song just as well, but not as many people knew them/were friends with them/had a massive crush on the *insert position of band member here*, I'm not sure that they would have won over a band who had "popular" or well known kids in it. I don't know.

I think that the only way to have a truly fair Battle of the Bands is to listen and watch very objectively without using past performances or visual appeal as a bias. This is super hard to do of course, because we all know that band guys are hot.

as it stands, I think Battles of the Bands are good things on any scale.

SPEAKING of Battle of the Bands (you guys knew it was coming...)

my lovelies in News From Verona have TWO shows this weekend (May 7 and 8) May 7 is at the ES Jungle (6151 Central Avenue Indianapolis, IN 46220) with Between the Trees and May 8 is at the Emerson (4630 East 10th Street Indianapolis, IN 46201) with Anarbor and Automatic Loveletter. BOTH are going to be AMAZING shows, so you should go to at least one. contact me if you need more information. they're both clean venues and clean bands, so if that's a worry for parents, they can relax. tickets are cheap ($7 for Friday, $8 for Saturday).

AND, the real reason I started this plug, they're doing a Battle of the Bands for a chance to play at the Indy date of this year's Warped Tour (one of the best summer tours EVER). EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT GOING/DON'T WANT TO GO/DON'T CARE, PLEASE vote for them... I'll appreciate it. they'll appreciate it. and it's a HUGE opportunity for them. go to www.battleofthebands.com/newsfromverona, create an account (or two), and VOTE. you can vote every day. once a day. you can also opt not to receive e-mails from them if you wish. pleeease do this for me. =]
(Roncalli's own Falling With Style is also in the competition and could use your support: battleofthebands.com/fallingwithstyle).

No comments:

Post a Comment