Thursday, April 22, 2010

tonight. tonight. tonight. last blog for tonight. tonight

sounds silly, right?

there is ABSOLUTELY no need to say the word "tonight" more than once in my title. let alone five times. but apparently that's all the rage right now in the music industry.

every "popular" song I hear, while catchy, basically says the same phrase over and over. and over. and over again.
Exhibit A:
MAKE UP OF JUSTIN BEIBER'S SONGS (click here)

so true. the proof is in the pudding lyrics...
"There's gonna be one less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
How many I told you's
And start overs and shoulders
Have you cried on before
How many promises be honest girl
How many tears you let hit the floor
How many bags you packed
Just to take 'em back, tell me that
How many either or's
But no more,
If you let me inside of your world
There'd be one less lonely girl
(Chorus)
Oh no
I saw so many pretty faces
Before I saw you, you
Now all I see is you
Oh no
Don't need these other pretty faces
'Cause when your mine in the world
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
I'm gonna put you first
I'll show you what your worth
If you let me inside your world
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
Christmas wasn't merry, 14th of February
Not one of them spent with you
How many dinner dates, set dinner plates
And he didn't even touch his food
How many torn photographs are you taping back
Tell me that you couldn't see an open door
But no more,
If you let me inside of your world
(Chorus)
Oh no
I saw so many pretty faces
Before I saw you, you
Now all I see is you
Oh no
Don't need these other pretty faces
'Cause when your mine in the world
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
I'm gonna put you first
I'll show you what your worth
If you let me inside your world
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
I can fix up your broken heart
I can give you a brand new start
I can make you believe,
I just wanna set one girl free to fall
She's free to fall
With me
My hearts locked and nowhere to get the key
I'l take her and leave this world
With one less lonely girl
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
One less lonely girl
There's gonna be one less lonely girl
One less lonely girl"

of the 387 words in this song, 23 are "girl", 32 "you/your"s, and the phrase "one less lonely girl" appears no fewer than 21 times. for those of you counting at home, the "girl"s and "you/your"s account for 14.2% of the song. the 21 phrases make up 1/3 (33%) of the song based on number of lines. in a strict word:word ratio, the repetition of those four words in succession accounts for 21.7% of the song. don't tell me it's not repetitive.

this song has NO meaning aside from the fact that the kid is sixteen and has very little experience in real relationships. how in the WORLD is this actually popular?

I don't think I'll ever understand...

5 comments:

  1. I completely see where you're going with this; believe me when I say I'm not a Justin Bieber fan.

    But I kind of feel like repetition is what makes a song a song instead of just a pitchy paragraph. Sometimes it's annoying, granted, but I tried counting the "Let It Be"s in The Beatles' "Let It Be," and there were fifteen of them, which accounts for 28.7% of the song, and most people don't argue that The Beatles were/are legends.

    I think we're just going to have to learn to live with the Justin Biebers out there. They're the Aaron Carters of today, and I have to sympathize there because Aaron Carter had me at "Come Get It." ...When I was eight, that is. No, really, I promise. I was definitely over it by at least eleven. Or twelve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose, but I also think that songs from that era actually had substance. Let it Be is a prime example, and while there is an immense amount of repetition, it's not about some little kid chasing after other little girls. actually, Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low (@AlexAllTimeLow) posted a funny update on Twitter about him. I can't find it right now, but it's something to the effect of "there's gonna be one less lonely girl because he's killing them off" it's sorta funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heehee =]. I do find his lyrics creepy. I suppose it would have seemed natural when I was his age, but now it just sorta makes me... irritated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both of you ... partially... :D

    I agree with you Abby because I do think that in all songs there is going to be a certain amount of repetition because that is simply how the music industry has structured itself. However, the difference between Let it Be and the Justin Beiber song is the message. Paul McCartney wrote a song which almost all of humanity can really understand and relate to where as the majority of people over the age of twelve would not like to hear about how lonely some girl is. Also, Justin Beiber's voice makes me want to puke, versus McCartney's which soothes my soul. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amen, Autumn. aaaaaaamen.

    "There will be an answer: let it be"
    means so much more than
    "There's gonna be one less lonely girl"

    maybe it's just me though... haha.

    ReplyDelete